Monday, October 31, 2022

"TELL-TALE HEART" & "ADVENTURE OF THE GERMAN STUDENT" - 1997 Win Phillips Audiobook


This is a post I've wanted to make for a long, long time.

Way back in 2008, I shared some of my OOP media with the Children's Records and More blog. In the collection was an audio cassette containing two classic Horror stories narrated, and featuring music by, the legendary Winifred Phillips.

This original rip was very poor (I recorded it using the Aux Out on an old cassette player), but I always figured I could update it at some point.

Years passed, I moved houses, and the cassette was seemingly lost forever. I swore I searched everything I owned, everywhere I had anything stashed, but I simply could not find the cassette.

I tried to find other copies online, but could never find one. I emailed Ms. Phillips herself, hoping I could obtain another copy, but I never received a response.

I felt all hope was lost... until one day this past week. I had moved a bucket of old papers, drawings, and magazines from my shed to my house, in the hopes of digging out a magazine I could've sworn I had still owned to possibly send to CGC for an upcoming signing.

...and there it was.

I have no clue how it got there, but I didn't care. I immediately sent it off to Under Design to get digitized, hoping it would be ready in time for Halloween. Talk about a miracle right at the eleventh hour!

The stories included are Edgar Allan Poe's timeless "The Tell-Tale Heart", and Washington Irving's romantic horror classic "The Adventure of The German Student". Each tale clocks in at a little under a half hour apiece.

These are excellent adaptations. Winifred's slow (and somehow sensual) narration works well in accompaniment with her lush, Gothic orchestral compositions. This is the woman who brought us the music behind "God of War", after all.

In fact, this take on "Heart" is my personal favorite, just edging out the revolutionary UPA short.

If you're a fan of either story, or a fan of Winifred's music, you must give these a listen. This cassette is as rare as it gets, and I'm proud to be able to finally share a quality copy with the world.

Please enjoy, and HAPPY HALLOWEEN! 🎃

DOWNLOAD 1

DOWNLOAD 2

Internet Archive

YouTube

192kbps CBR

No comments:

Post a Comment