Thursday, October 1, 2020

RAY STEVENS - "SURELY YOU JOUST" 1986 CD

 

Growing up, Ray Stevens was a family favorite. My grandmother got me into his music when I was extremely young. Since then, I've gone on to like much edgier comedy; but every now and again I revisit Ray and reminisce about simpler times.

Over his long career, many of his best-known songs have had to be re-recorded due to legal issues between record labels. Because of this, a large number of his catalog (especially his 1980's albums) have never been reissued.

"Surely You Joust", like his other albums, combine humorous tunes with heartfelt ballads. It's one of his best 80's outings, and features some fantastic tracks (such as the hilarious "Southern Air" featuring Jerry Clower and Minnie Pearl).

Until MCA and other labels decide to reissue these Southern Comedy classics, I'm going to share my copies with the world so that they may enjoy them as I did so many years ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment